The Adventures of Menace and Cheddar Bob started with the decision to leave the safety of the bubble at home and travel across the world. We left the comforts of the familiar behind to take on the challenge of teaching english overseas. This is our story....

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A Taste of Taiwan (or stuff from other places that is new to us!)


Starfruit and Wax Apples



Dumplings (YUM!)


Pig's Blood and Rice (not the exact version we tried .... but you get the idea)


Carrie and I (mostly Carrie) have been trying to be adventurous with new foods on our travels. I am realizing I am a picky eater now that I am outside of my comfort zone. If it smells, looks or sounds weird...I won't try it. If no one can translate for me what it is....no way. If it is something relatively normal but smells or looks different then it would at home... I hesitate. If the entire body is still on the outside and there are eyes on it winking at me .... ummm maybe pass. The reason I do try things is if Carrie tries it first and doesn't look like she might hurl I will give it a go. Or peer pressure....Tommy! My Chinese teacher shakes her head at me everyday at lunch as I pick through the food making faces. She is always telling me to try things and that they are good for me or that they taste good...I always assume she must by lying by the looks of this stuff. I know I should be more adventurous but is a school cafeteria really ever the place to experience a cultures food? I have tried somethings such as dumplings, tofu and new dishes at restaurants which have all been delicious. I also do try new fruits....how can you go wrong there.

Guava
Starfruit
Yellow Watermelon
Wax Apples
mini versions of peaches and apple/pears
and others that I don't know the name of

The strangest thing we have tried is the pig's blood with rice. In Taiwan many people enjoy either pig's blood or duck's blood in almost a jello like form or together with rice. Tommy basically forced us into the rice version after it had been barbecued. It is hard to describe the taste because it didn't really taste like anything not that I would know what blood is supposed to taste like. But I did it. It is one of those things I think you do just to say you did.

Pig's blood. check.

I do look forward to trying some more new and interesting foods as we travel....but as long as Carrie does it first!



Here is a video of more food adventures!


1 comment:

  1. My girlfriend is Taiwanese and I can't personally get pas the whole obsession with red beans. I mean... ice cream?

    Anyway, I've been reading this after I RSS-subscribed it when I found it after searching for Korrnell. I'm in the US finishing out a second year of teaching high school, but will be there next school year. Thanks for a great blog... it helped me make my contract decision :)

    ReplyDelete