The Adventures of Menace and Cheddar Bob started with the decision to leave the safety of the bubble at home and travel across the world. We left the comforts of the familiar behind to take on the challenge of teaching english overseas. This is our story....

Saturday, December 26, 2009

Scooter



For some reason it took Carrie and I four months to finally get a scooter. We test drove the scooter and paid for it one night then had to return the following night to pick it up. I choose to drive the scooter home as doubling for the first time was not the smartest decsion we could make. This was terrifying to say the least. I had not yet driven a scooter successfuly but now had no choice but to drive on my own, at night in rush hour traffic for 20 minutes to bring our baby home. Mike was kind enough to give me a lift and guide me safely back. He was very patient with me and the whole process. When we arrived to get the scooter it was not ready. For some reason the engine was exposed and a sketchy looking bike was torn apart next to it. He apparently wasn't done working on the bike. Once he was finished he let Mike test drive it. Something seemed a little off....I don't know much about scooters but it sounded different. He then began to fix it again. The old man at the shop was next to test it. They said now I was ready to go. I geared up and got on. As I am ready to entire traffic the light turns green, Mike leads, I grab the throtle and....nothing. Eeeee! I try again....bahh what do I do? I relaize it has stalled and I re-start but the light is now red. I sit paitently waiting for Mike to return having to continue to rev the engine to keep it running. We take the bike back to the mechanics who speak zero english and use charades to desribe the problem. Once again the bike is ripped open and we are waiting. Finally it is finished and off we go again! This time it was a success! I made it all the way home without crashing into anything or anyone! The next day Mike took Carrie and I on a tour around our town so we could be become more familiar with how to get places via scooter. This was my first experience driving with a passenger.... after a scary first right turn it was smooth sailing. After lunch it was Carrie's turn drive. I rode with Mike and Carrie was on her own. We are now both practiced up and ready to rock!!

Nothing is stopping us now!

2 comments:

  1. ive been waiting for this blog for a LONG time!! jamied

    ReplyDelete
  2. bahahaha omg, you guys are funny! i'm so glad you're still alive!

    ReplyDelete